Tuesday, February 26, 2008

about a girl

this is about a girl. A real girl. Not one of those fake girls you see on tv with perfect hair and perfect skin with the perfect boy and their life all figured out. I am not one of those.

My hair is curly and frizzy, and has a mind of its own when its humid out. And my skin, although pimple free, i fear, is starting to show its age. It turns 28 later this year.

I have not met the perfect boy. I thought I did, a few times, once in high school, and again in university, then again when i started my first full time job, and just recently again when I went back to school. But each time I was wrong. So wrong. Well maybe not so wrong....they are all great guys, and there are elements in each of them that I wish I could copy and paste onto a guy-template of atleast 6 feet with good hair and mold him into my perfect man. If only life were like that, then maybe I would be happier. At least I think I would be happier.

Not that I'm not happy.....

But growing up, I thought my life would turn out to be a lot different than it is. Not that its bad .... I just never thought it would be like this. I thought I would have it figured out by now, I'd have a great job by now, be married and talking about babies by now. And although I would never change the life i've ended up living, there are a few areas I'd definitly modify. I'm a big believer that everything happens for a reason, and in the words of Kanye West "dat dat dat dat dat dat don't kill me, only make me stronger" but still....

Things in my life that DO make me happy are spending afternoons in coffee shops reading magazines or writing my journal. Dangly earrings, red lipstick and red nail polish. Eating chocolate and/or ice cream, but not chocolate ice cream. Talking for hours with a good friend, going out to eat and finishing a bottle of wine alone! Paris. Travelling. Shopping. Learning new things. Doing my taxes. Pregnant friends. Walking through the city when its snowing out or sitting in a garden people watching when its sunny out. The colour red. My yellow Le Cruset. Making bread. Reading about the newest restaurant openings in Toronto. Toronto! (my city) Talking to my sister on msn. Having coffee with my mom. Cupcakes! How could i forget cupcakes?!?! Shoes and purses. Best friends. Trashy gossip magazines. The color red! Eyeshadow! Buying cards when I need to buy something! Chick flicks! Chick lit! The New York Times bestseller list. The feeling in your stomach when you first realize you are falling for someone....

Things that make me not so happy are pretty clothes that are too expensive for this regular girl to buy. Brad and Angelina. Cleaning my washroom and folding laundry. Broccoli. Girls younger than me, calling me "honey". Falling for close guy friends (welcome to the story of my life). The fact that the things that taste the best are the worst for you. Cold weather. Getting older (because it means my parents are getting older too). AIDS. Cancer. Poverty. War. Homework. Property tax. Heartbreak. Having things not go as planned.

1 comment:

Joyce said...

things that make me not so happy: being called ma'am.

you're blogging again!!! :)